There are plenty of reasons as to why you may want to turn off 3G internet connectivity and EDGE on your iPhone. Some of the reasons can be as follows:
- You do not want to connect your iPhone to your network provider
- You may want to avoid your iPhone to connect to the web through EDGE or 3G when you are connected to the web through Wi-Fi
- You may want to disable all the wireless connectivity features on your phone when you are going to travel on an airplane.
- You may not want to 3G if the 3G network is not connecting easily whereas the 2G network is
- To save the battery on your iPhone
- There is no 3G connectivity available in your area.
When you disable EDGE on your phone, you will be actually disabling the network access on your phone which means you will not be able to make calls, send text messages, access web and voicemail, etc. When you disable 3G on your phone, your phone will connect to the web through EDGE. Your iPhone will consume less battery. The web browser will not load pages quickly as EDGE connectivity is slow as compared to 3G connectivity.
How to disable EDGE on your iPhone
The only way that is available on iPhone to disable EDGE is to turn on iPhone’s Airplane Mode. On Nokia phones, this feature is called Offline Mode. When you enable this feature, the network connectivity on your phone will be disabled. In other words, your phone will not connect to your service provider’s network if you enable this feature. This feature is very handy when you travel on plane. Since the law prohibits people from using cell phones because the network signal conflicts can cause technical problems to the airplane, using the Airplane Mode you will be able to use all the other features like watching movies, listening to music, etc on your iPhone. Since the network is disabled, you will not able to make any calls, send text messages, and connect to the internet through EDGE or 3G internet.
How to disable 3G on your iPhone
In order to disable 3G, you can go to the Settings menu > General > Network. Here you will find an option that says ON for ‘Enable 3G’. Press the slide button and you will be able to OFF 3G connectivity. Now the phone will automatically switch to EDGE mode to connect to the web. If you want to enable 3G access, you can use the slider again to turn it ON.